These Chewy Chocolate Molasses Cookies are the easiest and most delicious cookies. Full of fun ginger and molasses flavor and stuffed with chunky chocolate chips, you won't want to miss out on these!
The holiday season is my favorite time of year. I have said it again and again on here but there really is something special about this season.
These Chewy Chocolate Molasses Cookies are full of holiday cheer. Think gingerbread meets chocolate. These cookies are full of yummy spiciness and gooey chocolate. They are everything I love about the holiday season.
For some more delicious recipes, check out these Almond Flour Oatmeal Cookies, these The BEST Dairy-Free Brownies, these Vegan Anise Pizzelles or these Vegan Peppermint Brownies.
- Molasses- This is one of the key ingredients in these Chocolate Molasses Cookies. Generally speaking, molasses has a sweet, warm, and smokey flavor. The molasses helps to add moisture to the recipe and give the cookies their dark brown color. If you don't have molasses, you can use a substitute but be advised that the flavor will be altered. You can substitute dark corn syrup, maple syrup, or honey for the molasses in this recipe.
- Coconut Sugar- These cookies are refined sugar-free and that is due in part to the coconut sugar. Coconut sugar is going to act as our sweetener in this recipe and we are also going to roll the cookies in the sugar before baking.
- Vegan Chocolate Chunks- These are my favorite vegan chocolate chunks. They melt perfectly and are gluten-free, egg-free, soy-free, nut-free, and dairy-free.
See the recipe card for quantities.
- Beat together the coconut sugar and vegan butter.
- Add the molasses, baking soda, boiling water, flour, and spices.
- Fold in the Chocolate Chunks.
- Refrigerate for 20 minutes to 1 hour
- Roll the cookies in coconut sugar
- Preheat oven to 350 degrees
- Bake for 10-12 minutes
Hint: Top with extra chocolate chunks after you pull them out of the oven to make them even more full of chocolate.
- Gluten-Free - Make these cookies with your favorite gluten-free flour blend to make these chocolate molasses cookies gluten-free.
- Sugar-free - While these are refined sugar-free, they may not be suitable for people with diabetes. Try making these with your favorite sugar-free alternative. This one is my favorite!
- Paleo - Make these cookies paleo-friendly by using almond flour in place of all-purpose.
- White Chocolate - Instead of using semi-sweet vegan chocolate chunks, try using some vegan white chocolate to make these chocolate molasses cookies.
- Dipped - Dip half of these chocolate molasses cookies in more melted chocolate to make chocolate-dipped cookies.
- Candied Ginger - Toss in some candied ginger to make these even more flavorful!
Check out this other delicious holiday recipe here!
These Chocolate Gingerbread Cookies are chewy and full of chocolate. Expect to have a big bite of chocolate flavor on the front with the smokiness from the molasses and the bite from the ginger at the back of the palate.
Yes, these Chocolate Gingerbread Cookies are fully vegan and plant-based. These cookies contain no dairy or eggs.
Yes you can! You can swap out the vegan butter with ½ cup of melted coconut oil.
Equipment can have a big impact on how a recipe turns out. See below for the equipment you will need.
- Glass Mixing Bowl
- Hand Mixer or Stand Mixer
- Silicone Spatula
- Cookie Sheets
Store the cookies in an airtight container for up to 5 days.
The dough freezes wonderfully. Wrap the dough in plastic wrap and roll it into a log. Freeze for up to three months. When ready to bake, let the dough thaw, cut into slices, and bake.
- These cookies don't spread much so when I pull them out of the oven, I like to gently press them down with a spoon to flatten.
- These cookies make excellent holiday gifts! Line a metal tin with parchment paper and place the cookies inside or wrap them in plastic wrap and add them to a gift bag!
Chewy Chocolate Molasses Cookies
- 1 ½ cups all-purpose flour
- 2 teaspoons ground ginger
- 1 teaspoon ground cinnamon
- ½ teaspoon ground cloves
- ¼ teaspoon ground nutmeg
- 1 tablespoon cocoa powder
- ½ cup Vegan Butter
- ½ cup coconut sugar
- ¼ cup unsulfured molasses
- 1 teaspoon baking soda
- 1 ½ teaspoons boiling water
- ½ vegan chocolate chunks
- ¼ cup coconut sugar
- In the bowl with an electric mixer, beat the vegan butter and coconut sugar until combined. Add molasses; beat until combined.
- In a medium bowl, add together flour, ground ginger, cinnamon, cloves, nutmeg, and cocoa.
- Add the flour mixture to the butter mixture and add the baking soda, water and chocolate chunks. Mix until combined.
- Refrigerate the dough for 20 minutes to 1 hour
- Preheat the oven to 350 degrees
- After the dough has been refrigerated, using a cookie scoop or a spoon, form the cookies into balls.
- Roll the cookies in coconut sugar
- Bake for 10-12 minutes
- Cook to a minimum temperature of 165 °F (74 °C)
- Don't leave food sitting out at room temperature for extended periods
- Never leave cooking food unattended
- Use oils with high smoking point to avoid harmful compounds
- Always have good ventilation when using a gas stove
Love the cozy spices in these cookies...who would have thought they pair so beautifully with chocolate? YUM.
Luke Ratford says
Love these cookies they were awesome 🙂
Well, chocolate and molasses are a great combination. These cookies are perfect for the holiday treat tray. I am printing the recipe off right now.
I love baking with molasses this time of year and all the spices makes these even more incredible!!
Amy Roskelley says
Delicious! Can't wait to bring these cookies to our Christmas party!
Sondra Barker says
These turned out perfect!
These chewy chocolate molasses cookies are absolutely delicious! Love that they are refined sugar-free, eggless, and full of flavor.
Pam Greer says
Our new favorite cookies!
these chocolate molasses cookies are SO delish and chewy!! my DD loves these! actually we all love these in our house
I’ve not tried baking with molasses but these cookies look so good. Thanks for sharing this easy recipe. Will make them soon!
I love how easy to make and tasty these are! The perfect cookie flavors and texture. Thank you for this recipe.
These cookies came out perfectly chewy and the spice amounts are spot on. Perfect for our ladies' Christmas tea!
Such good timing, I was just looking for a recipe to use up my last molasses! The cookies turned out absolutely delicious, was the kind of cookies I love, chewy, chocolatey, and sweet. Thanks for the lovely recipe!
Yum! l love the chocolate bits inside. I have to make these cookies asap. Thanks for the recipe.
Love the chocolate and molasses combination!!
Cookies turned out perfect, so chewy and delicious
I love molasses cookies but the addition of chocolate chips to these makes them so much better! Great for the holidays.
These cookies taste amazing!
This is such a great cookie recipe, especially for the Holidays. I haven't had molasses cookies in a really long time!
I baked these cookies yesterday and they came out amazing! Going to bake them again next weekend for a cookie exchange party!
I love molasses cookies, and I love chocolate cookies, but for some reason, I'd never combined the two together! It's such a lovely and complex combination of flavors, I'll definitely be making these again and again!
Loreto and Nicoletta says
Tbese cookies have Christmas written all over them! I can only imagine the aroma in the house baking these. Love that always brings warm memories of the season, and I bet they are just melt in your mouth delicious. What a great combo chocolate and molasses! Yum! Santa is hojng to be really hapoy this year!😁😋❤🤗🙏
All the flavors I love in one chewy cookie! A bonus is that they made my kitchen smell so festive. Sooo good!
YUM! These cookies were so good -- I love the combination of chocolate and spices. Definitely making them again!
The flavor combination on these cookies is amazing, my house smelled so good! We are big fans of chocolate and ginger so these were perfect. I wonder how they will taste if we use fresh ginger instead. I have to try!
These chewy chocolate molasses cookies look absolutely amazing! I am dying to make these over the holidays. Thank you for sharing this recipe!