This Sun-Dried Tomato Pesto Gnocchi couldn't be easier to make. This dish comes together in 30 minutes and only has three ingredients. The flavor is bright and refreshing and oh so delicious!
Okay, who doesn't love pesto? I have an undying love of pesto. I will put it on almost anything and pesto-related dishes constitute some of my favorite dinners. Another thing is that I also have a very short attention span so being able to make quick weeknight meals is super important to me. I like to pretend that it is because I live such a busy, hectic life that I can't find time to be in the kitchen, but friends, let's be real. I just love to chill in front of the TV after a long day of work and kick it. Enter in this Sun-Dried Tomato Pesto Gnocchi.
This pesto gnocchi is amazing. The flavors are all there and the dish is the perfect mix of textures. The dish contains the crunchy bite from the roasted gnocchi paired with the soft sun-dried tomato and then topped with a creamy pesto sauce. It is delicious. Did I mention that this dish only has three ingredients? That's right. Three. My friends, if this doesn't make you want to run to the store right away and make this, I don't know what will.
Why is pesto so great?
Pesto is a green sauce that is considered one of the earliest sauces in Italian cuisine! It is traditionally made with fresh basil, garlic, olive oil, pine nuts, and cheese. I like to add a little extra to my pesto sauce by adding spinach and I like to make it vegan as well by removing the cheese component. You don't have to be vegan to enjoy this pesto sauce. It tastes exactly like the real thing and you would never guess that it doesn't contain cheese.
The addition of spinach to the pesto brings some powerhouse nutritional density to the common sauce. Spinach contains a ton of vitamins and minerals and is a powerhouse vegetable. Some of the vitamins and minerals that spinach contains are:
- Vitamins A, C and, K1– These vitamins benefit vision, immune system and cell growth, skin health and helps with blood clotting.
- Folic Acid– Folic Acid is essential for normal cellular function and tissue growth.
- Iron– Iron helps to create hemoglobin, which brings oxygen to your body’s tissues.
- Calcium -is essential for bone health
How to make this Sun-Dried Tomato Pesto Gnocchi
This Sun-Dried Tomato Pesto Gnocchi couldn't be easier to make. To make this dish, you will need two boxes of shelf-stable gnocchi. You can usually find them in the pasta aisle of the grocery store. I personally like to use the DeLallo brand. You will also need one jar of sun-dried tomatoes and one batch of Vegan Almond Spinach Pesto. You can use another pesto if you prefer but I like adding in the extra nutrients from the spinach since this dish is so simple.
The first thing that you will do is roast your gnocchi. Set your oven at 425 degrees and toss your gnocchi in some olive oil and spread out on a sheet pan and bake for 30 minutes. When the gnocchi is finished in the oven, you are going to add the gnocchi, pesto, and sun-dried tomatoes to a pan and toss everything together. You want the tomatoes and the gnocchi to be coated in pesto. That's it! This dish couldn't be any easier to make. Serve this dish with a salad and some garlic bread and you have a full meal at your fingertips in 30 minutes.
SUN-DRIED TOMATO PESTO GNOCCHI
- Preheat your oven to 425 degrees. While the oven is preheating, toss your gnocchi in some olive oil and spread out on a sheet pan. Bake for 30 minutes
- Once your gnocchi is finished baking, add the gnocchi to a pan and add the sun-dried tomatoes and the pesto and toss until pesto coats the tomatoes and gnocchi. Serve warm
- This recipe can be made gluten-free by using gluten-free gnocchi
- Feel free to use store-bought pesto, if you are vegan though, make sure to check the label!
- If you are a meat-eater, this dish would go great with chicken added
- Nutritional values are an approximation based on the software used. Please consult with your doctor if you have specific dietary needs.