This Vegan Corn Casserole is the perfect Thanksgiving side dish! This classic recipe will sure to be a new staple on your table!
Who else is ready for Thanksgiving?? I know that I am! Thanksgiving is my favorite holiday and it starts my favorite time of the year! There is just something so magical this time of year. Everyone seems kinder, more willing to spend time and give back to others, I just love the holiday season.
I remember the first year that I went vegan. It was in November and I told Michael that I was thinking about it and he said "Okay, let's do it! Let's start today!" That's Michael for you. That was the week before Thanksgiving.
I researched endlessly for recipes and tried and tweaked so many things that week, we made it through but it was a crazy hectic Thanksgiving! That brings me back to this corn casserole. This was one of the first vegan dishes that I tried making. I used my grandpa's classic recipe and made several tweaks. It came out amazing! I am so excited to share it with you today. This corn casserole is creamy, thick and delicious. You won't want to leave this one out from your spread this year!
The ingredients in this recipe are common ones you will find at any grocery store!
- Creamed Corn
- Whole Kernel Corn
- Coconut Sugar
- Cornbread mix
- Dairy-Free Yogurt
- Vegan Butter
See the recipe card for quantities.
Preheat the oven to 350 degrees. Drain and rinse the can of whole kernel corn. Using a microwave-safe bowl, melt the vegan butter. Combine all of the ingredients in a large bowl and mix to combine.
Using either a 2.5-quart casserole dish or a cast-iron skillet, pour the mixture into the greased dish. Bake for 45 minutes.
Hint: The easiest way to check for doneness is to insert a clean butter knife in the center of the casserole. If it is clean when you pull it out then the casserole is done. If it comes out with gooey casserole on it, pop the casserole back into the oven for another 10 minutes and check again.
- Cream Cheese - If you aren't a fan of yogurt, replace the yogurt in the recipe and make this corn casserole with cream cheese or sour cream!
- Cheesy - Make this vegan corn casserole cheesy by adding some vegan shredded cheese to the top before baking!
- Tofu - replace the dairy-free yogurt with silken tofu to make this corn casserole with tofu instead.
- Spicy - add some diced green chilies to the batter to give it a little kick!
- Without Jiffy - If you can't find vegan cornbread mix, you can make this corn casserole without the boxed jiffy and substitute one cup AP flour and one cup cornmeal.
- Without creamed corn - You can make this corn casserole without creamed corn by adding one extra can of whole kernel corn and adding an extra half cup of dairy-free yogurt.
Check out this other delicious Thanksgiving recipe here!
Of course! To make this corn casserole in the crockpot, follow all of the same steps and cook on high for 2-3 hours or on low for 4 hours.
No much! They have different names but both are basically the same recipe. They all start with a cornbread base and then use butter, yogurt or sour cream, corn and creamed corn.
No, this corn casserole is not gluten-free because most prepackaged cornbread mixes contain a combination of cornmeal and all purpose flour. However, you can find gluten-free cornbread mixes or make your own! All the other ingredients in the recipe are gluten-free.
Equipment can have a big impact on how a recipe turns out. Please see below for the equipment that you will need.
Cover and store the casserole in the fridge for 3-4 days. This casserole is perfect for making ahead of time so you don't use up precious oven space. Make this casserole up to two days ahead of time and then just reheat the day of Thanksgiving!
This casserole can be frozen for up to three months but is best served fresh.
The best part about this recipe is the crunchy crust and the soft gooey filling. Make sure that the casserole is cooked all the way through before removing it and serving it.
Vegan Corn Casserole
- 1 15 ounce can Creamed Corn
- 1 15 ounce can Whole Kernel Corn
- 2 tablespoons Coconut Sugar
- 15 ounces Cornbread mix
- 1 cup Dairy-Free Yogurt
- ½ cup Vegan Butter
- Preheat the oven to 350 degrees. Drain and rinse the can of whole kernel corn. Using a microwave-safe bowl, melt the vegan butter. Combine all of the ingredients in a large bowl and mix to combine.
- Using either a 2.5-quart casserole dish or a cast-iron skillet, pour the mixture into the greased dish.
- Bake for 45 minutes.
- Cook to a minimum temperature of 165 °F (74 °C)
- Do not use the same utensils on cooked food, that previously touched raw meat
- Wash hands after touching raw meat
- Don't leave food sitting out at room temperature for extended periods
- Never leave cooking food unattended
- Use oils with high smoking point to avoid harmful compounds
- Always have good ventilation when using a gas stove