These Vegan Peppermint Brownies are easy to make and are delicious! The perfect holiday party dessert, these fudgy brownies will have everyone raving!
Who doesn't love the holiday season? I know that the holiday season is one of my favorite times of the year! I love all the holiday treats, the baking, and the getting together with family. Everything about the holidays is amazing! I feel like it is the one time of year that everyone seems to be happy and friendly with one another. The holidays just bring so much joy!
Speaking of joy, that is exactly what these peppermint brownies are! Filled with rich chocolate flavor, hints of mint and so chewy and fudgy, these vegan peppermint brownies are exactly what this season needed.
The ingredients in this recipe are all staples that you can find in any grocery store.
Powdered Sugar: If you want to make homemade brownies that are just like the box, powdered sugar is your secret ingredient! Powdered sugar contains cornstarch which will help to thicken the batter without all the additives of a boxed mix.
Peppermint Extract: We are topping these brownies with minty candy canes, however, we are taking the mint flavor up a notch by adding peppermint extract. The extract will help to flavor the brownies.
Cocoa Powder: I use Hershey's Cocoa Powder. Make sure to sift it if it is lumpy!
Preheat the oven to 350 degrees.
Make the flax eggs and set them aside.
In a large bowl, add the flour, cocoa powder, salt, sugar, and powdered sugar. Mix to combine.
Stir in the flax eggs, melted butter, peppermint extract, and chocolate chunks. Stir until a thick batter is formed.
Pour the batter into an 8x8 inch pan. The batter will be thick so you will have to spread it out with a spatula.
Using a food processor or a sharp knife, chop up the candy canes into bite-sized pieces. Sprinkle the crushed candy canes on top.
Bake for 40-45 minutes. You will know that it is done when you insert a knife into the brownies and it comes out clean.
Top with some more crushed candy canes and allow to cool completely before slicing.
Hint: Layer your brownie pan with parchment paper to allow for easy cleanup and slicing!
- Gluten-Free - Make these peppermint brownies gluten-free by using gluten-free flour in place of all-purpose flour.
- Refined sugar-free - Make these refined sugar-free by replacing the cane sugar and powdered sugar with coconut sugar and adding 1 tablespoon of cornstarch to the mixture.
- Peppermint Mocha Brownies - Give these brownies a fun flair and add 1 tablespoon of instant coffee to the batter to turn them into peppermint mocha brownies.
- Peppermint Bark Brownies - Top with vegan white chocolate chips and candy canes to make Peppermint Bark Brownies.
- Hot Chocolate Brownies with Peppermint - Top these peppermint brownies with vegan marshmallows to turn these into hot chocolate brownies!
Check out this other delicious recipe here!
These peppermint brownies are full of both chocolate and mint flavor. The mint is not overwhelming but you will taste it.
Yes of course you can! I love Enjoy Life Rice Milk Chocolate! It will give it a smoother flavor.
No these brownies are not frosted. If you want to add frosting to these brownies, add 4 ounces of melted chocolate to ¼ vegan heavy cream and mix well. Spread over the brownies.
Equipment can have a big impact on how a recipe turns out. Please see below for the equipment you will need.
- Glass Mixing Bowl
- 8x8 inch pan
- Chef Knife
Store these brownies in an airtight container at room temperature for up to 3 days.
To freeze these brownies, wrap them in plastic wrap and tin foil and freeze for up to three months.
When these brownies come out of the oven, they'll be gooey in the middle. Allow them to cool completely, before you slice into them to give them a chance to set up. They'll continue to firm up the longer they're out of the oven.
Vegan Peppermint Brownies
- 1 cup Cane Sugar
- ¾ cup All-Purpose Flour
- ⅔ cup Cocoa Powder
- ½ cup Powdered Sugar
- ½ Vegan Chocolate Chunks
- 1 teaspoon Salt
- 2 Flax Eggs
- 1 cup Vegan Butter melted
- 1 teaspoon Peppermint Extract
- 4 Candy Canes
- Preheat the oven to 350 degrees.
- Make the flax eggs and set them aside.
- In a large bowl, add the flour, cocoa powder, salt, sugar, and powdered sugar. Mix to combine.
- Stir in the flax eggs, melted butter, peppermint extract, and chocolate chunks. Stir until a thick batter is formed.
- Pour the batter into an 8x8 inch pan. The batter will be thick so you will have to spread it out with a spatula.
- Using a food processor or a sharp knife, chop up the candy canes into bite-sized pieces. Sprinkle the crushed candy canes on top.
- Bake for 40-45 minutes. You will know that it is done when you insert a knife into the brownies and it comes out clean.
- Top with some more crushed candy canes and allow to cool completely before slicing.
- Cook to a minimum temperature of 165 °F (74 °C)
- Don't leave food sitting out at room temperature for extended periods
- Never leave cooking food unattended
- Use oils with high smoking point to avoid harmful compounds
- Always have good ventilation when using a gas stove