These Vegan Stuffed Mushrooms are delicious and easy! Button mushrooms filled with a creamy vegan crab dip make these mushrooms a standout at any gathering!
Anyone else a huge appetizer fan?? I love to snack so appetizers are my favorite! There is just something so fun about pregaming before a big meal with a bunch of friends. In college, sometimes we would just make like ten different types of appetizers and avoid the meal altogether!
Thanksgiving is coming up quickly and after the year that 2020 was, most of us will be back gathering with friends or family and enjoying all the food. You won't want to skip these stuffed mushrooms before the big meal. Filled with a creamy vegan crab mixture, stuffed and baked, these mushrooms are the perfect bite-sized app to enjoy while you are watching the big game or prepping for the big meal!
For more delicious appetizers, check out these Vegan Arancini alla Siciliana or these Easy and Quick Vegan Pesto Bites!
The ingredients in this recipe are plant-based and easy to find at any local grocery store!
- Hearts of Palm- Hearts of palm are the perfect vegan substitute for crab. Hearts of palm are harvested from the inner core of palm trees. I love them because they have a mild tasted but the texture is similar to crab. If you don't have them on hand, you can substitute plain artichoke hearts or jackfruit.
- Coconut Aminos- To keep this recipe paleo and gluten-free, we use coconut aminos to add the salty umami flavor. If you don't have sensitivities, you can use soy sauce or tamari.
- Nori- The nori in this recipe is perfect to add that fishy, saltwater taste that comes from seafood and shellfish. Since this is a vegan recipe, it is important to have an element that embodies that flavor. I love to use this nori which you can find at your local grocery store or online.
- Old Bay Seasoning- It wouldn't be a crab dip without the Old Bay! You can swap for New Bae seasoning if you want but Old Bay is still paleo compliant.
- Button Mushrooms- Try and get button mushrooms that are medium to large in size since we will be filling them. They will shrink in the oven so we want to make sure we have decent sized ones. You can swap for white mushrooms if you prefer.
Please see the recipe card for full ingredient list and quantities.
- Preheat the oven to 375 degrees.
- Pulse the cream cheese, vegan mayonnaise, sour cream, hearts of palm, spices, and liquids in the food processor until the hearts of palm are chopped and combined. About 30 pulses.
- Carefully twist the stems off of the button mushrooms. We want to make sure not to tear or rip the mushrooms as we will be filling the center of the mushrooms.
- Spoon one teaspoon worth of filling into each mushroom. You don't want to overfill the mushrooms or the filling will boil over in the oven.
- Place the filled mushrooms on a baking sheet and bake for 20 minutes.
Hint: You can also easily fill the mushrooms by putting the filling in a gallon size ziplock bag and cutting the corner to pipe it in.
- Tofu - Try making these vegan stuffed mushrooms with tofu instead of cream cheese. Just sub out cream cheese with silken tofu.
- Spinach - add some frozen chopped spinach to the mix to take it up a notch.
- Nutritional yeast - Give these dairy-free stuffed mushrooms a cheesy taste by adding a touch of nutritional yeast to the crab mixture.
- Crispy - Top this vegan stuffed mushroom recipe with breadcrumbs to give it a crispy bite.
- Kid friendly - If your kids aren't a fan of mushrooms, serve this dip warm along with some chips!
Check out this other delicious appetizer here!
Of course! To make these in the Air-Fryer just spray the basket with cooking spray and cook at 375 degrees for 15 minutes.
Yes! There are only 5 grams of carbs per 2 mushrooms. So these vegan keto stuffed mushrooms with crab will be the perfect snack.
Yes these vegan stuffed mushrooms are completely gluten-free.
Equipment can have a big impact on how a recipe turns out. See below for the equipment needed for this recipe.
- Glass Storage Bowls
- Food Processor
- Cookie Sheet
- Silicone Baking Mat
- Silicone Spatula
Cover and store the mushrooms for up to three days in the refrigerator. Reheat in the microwave or eat cold.
These ingredients don't stand up well to freezing.
- The filling mixture might boil and spill over the mushrooms in the oven because the mushrooms will shrink in the oven. If that happens, just spoon the mixture back on top of the mushrooms before serving.
- The mushrooms will shrink as they release water in the oven so I always make sure to buy medium to large button mushrooms.
- Sprinkle with a pinch of Old Bay Seasoning on top after pulling them out of the oven for a little extra zest.
Vegan Crab Stuffed Mushrooms
- 8 ounces Vegan Cream Cheese
- 1 can Hearts of Palm drained
- ½ cup Vegan Sour Cream
- ¼ cup Vegan Mayonnaise
- Juice of one Lemon
- ½ teaspoon Ground Mustard
- 2 teaspoons Coconut Aminos
- 2 teaspoons Hot Sauce
- 3 sheets Nori
- 2 teaspoons Old Bay Seasoning
- 20 Button Mushrooms
- Preheat the oven to 375 degrees.
- Using a food processor, pulse the cream cheese until smooth and creamy, about 1 minute. Add the vegan mayonnaise, sour cream, drained hearts of palm, ground mustard, lemon juice, Old Bay seasoning, coconut aminos, nori, and hot sauce. Pulse until the hearts of palm are chopped and combined. About 30 pulses.
- Using clean hands, carefully twist the stems off of the button mushrooms. We want to make sure not to tear or rip the mushrooms as we will be filling the center of the mushrooms.
- When all the stems are removed, using a spoon, spoon one teaspoon worth of filling into each mushroom. You don't want to overfill the mushrooms or the filling will boil over in the oven.
- When all the mushrooms are filled, place the mushrooms on a baking sheet and bake for 20 minutes.
- Cook to a minimum temperature of 165 °F (74 °C)
- Don't leave food sitting out at room temperature for extended periods
- Never leave cooking food unattended
- Use oils with high smoking point to avoid harmful compounds
- Always have good ventilation when using a gas stove
We are such mushroom lovers at my house. Can't wait to try these, love the vegan options
Love this recipe. I made these stuffed mushrooms for a potluck and everyone devoured them. Great recipe.
Why I come to your blog at night is beyond me because every time I do I want to eat! Vegan Stuffed Mushrooms sound fantastic, and I love the mustard and coconut amino combination. I'm saving this cuz I know it's flavorful!
These vegan stuffed mushrooms are such a crowd-pleaser, love that my friends liked it so much and never thought it is all made vegan ingredients.
Giangi Townsend says
I love stuffed mushrooms and I was looking for a healthier version of the one I used to make, and here is another one of your great creations. Cannot wait to make it next week for girls' night.
Kalin Williams says
You cannot beat stuffed mushrooms and these look incredible! I've never made them at home but I will have to try these
Emily Flint says
I LOVE stuffed mushrooms and this is a flavor combo I've never had! Thanks fro putting together a vegan version, this will come in handy during the holidays!
Dawn Conklin says
These stuffed mushrooms are so delicious and I love how easy they are to make! The perfect appetizer for a get together or even just a midday snack.
These are such a winner! Went down a treat with my vegan friends who came for dinner and I’m glad I made extra as everyone else loved them so much too!
These stuffed mushrooms look incredibly delicious. I’ve never tried heart of palms though. Do you suggest a substitute for it?
Hey! Jackfruit or plain artichoke hearts would be a great substitute for it!
Cindy Mom the Lunch Lady says
Oooouuu what a wonderful vegan stuffed mushroom recipe. This is a fabulous vegan take on a classic appetizer. YUM!
Gina Abernathy says
Oh! My! Goodness! Mushrooms and cream cheese--such a fabulous combination. So delicious! I will be making again. YUM!
What a beautiful and delicious appetizer. Perfect for the holiday table. Can't wait to make this. Thanks!
I love these stuffed mushrooms. They are a great appetizer and will be a hit this holiday season.
I loved the flavor of the coconut aminos in these
These were so good and were easy to make! Going to make these again for a holiday party.
These are so full of flavour!
These look really easy to make and tasty!
This was amazing! My new favorite way to eat mushrooms.
These stuffed mushrooms are heavenly! Everyone loved them!
Love this stuffed mushroom recipe perfect appetizer.
These stuffed mushrooms are perfect!